Horsham – St Mark, North Heath Lane
When the original St Mark‘s at Carfax was pulled down, its dedication was transferred to a new church in the northern part of the town. This was built in 1988-90, by J C T Warren of Architectural and Planning Partnership, a local firm (CBg 23 p42). It is planned in what he called an ‘evolutionary style’, centred on a west tower and spire, flanked by transepts of triangular plan. The upper part of the main body of the church consists of a continuously glazed clerestory, punctuated by what are in effect flying buttresses. The clerestory is continued round the three-sided east end. The effect is intended to recall perceptions of a church in an earlier age, leaving no doubt about the purpose of the building.
Glass: Five-light window by C E Kempe, 1902, removed from the demolished St Mark, Carfax.
Remainder: Other fittings are in light wood and date from the time of construction.