East Grinstead – St Luke, Stone Quarry
As the foundation stone in the west wall recorded, the church was built in 1954 in a then newly developed district of the town and incorporated a hall and a clergy house. It was a chapelry of St Swithun’s and was built of brown and yellow brick, with a glazed south wall. The other side had smaller windows and the east and west walls were blank, the large cross of tile on the latter making the purpose of the building clear.
The building was spacious by current standards for its dual purpose and on account of a dwindling congregation and rising maintenance costs it was closed in 2014 and demolished the following year, together with the clergy house. In its place there is to be a block of flats in which an area for worship is to be incorporated.