Brighton and Hove – St Matthew, Sutherland Road
The respectable brick terraces of East Brighton, beyond Queen’s Park and behind Brighton College, were developed after 1870. A temporary church was soon built and within a short time E E Scott and R S Hyde produced designs for a permanent one (ICBS). However, the architect of the church that was built between 1881 and 1883 at a cost of £11,400 (KD 1899) is given as J Norton (B 37 p526), though a rather ambiguous note attached to the ICBS application implies that Scott and Hyde’s design may not have been discarded totally. The church was substantial and in C13 style, with an unfinished south west tower. The exterior was flint and the interior faced with brick, but in fact the walls were of concrete, an early instance of its use. Like other churches of the period, the nave was relatively broad by comparison with the aisles.
It was pulled down in 1967 and the parish amalgamated with St Mark (Shipley p19).